Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Return of the Sunday Night Shout Out.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My apologies, my apologies, for I have been a lazy poster to the blog and dreadful e-mailer as of late. It's not for lack of union work, rest assured, but rather a lack of time and a mind that's been running in nine different directions at once. But, armed with my Famima!! cup of coffee and inspiration from y'all, let me wade back into my usual Sunday night ramblings.

First of all, let me share the good news that we've got another new member. Mr. Rick Coca of the Valley News section has signed on and I hope you'll all join me in welcoming him to our little club. He's an exceedingly cool guy and has made a remarkable trip from intern to stringer to full-time staff member with remarkable speed. He brings the section a passion and commitment to good journalism and brings us yet another member with charisma and integrity. We're glad to have ya, Rick, thanks for believing in what we do.

And now it's time to turn the spotlight on you folks once again. These are just off the top of my head, so any time any of you see good stories, designs, headlines or anything else, let me know so we can give due credit.

Brad Greenberg and Mike Baker had a nice pairing of great story and photo on Romer's driver, Manny(http://dailynews.com/search/ci_4354814). Val Kuklenski portrayed a nice scene to kick off her piece on blind designer Eric B. (http://dailynews.com/search/ci_4379872). Steve Rosenberg's many blogs, particularly Come on Feel the 'Nuys (http://insidesocal.com/feelthenuys/) have become indispensible reading for me at all hours. Glenn Whipp's tested the podcast waters with Bob Strauss (feed://insidesocal.com/dnpodcasts/reeldeal.xml) and talked me out of seeing "All the King's Men." (Thank you, Glenn, though I may still see "Flyboys" in spite of your thoughts... it sounds like my kind of bad movie) And, as I frequently mention, Hans Gutknecht has transformed countless stories we've worked on together, particularly today's Gene LeBell piece, with his rockin' shots. This is all very cool stuff.

As a final, mega shout-out, I wanted to give some props to my former deskmate Greg Hernandez, who's become a tireless blogger (http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/) and unstoppable chronicler of both entertainment business and gay life in Hollywood. Herny, you never stop amazing me with your productivity and your style. Your "I Love Lucy" quiz online was devilishly hard and oh-so-entertaining. Keep rockin', man.

Jeez, this machine latte ain't wearing off here, so I think I'll go do some laps or drink some water before I turn this into a four hour e-mail. Thanks again for all your support and help-- we need to get together sometime soon and kick back after work. I'll keep you posted...

-Brent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home