Thursday, February 28, 2008

A kind word from an old friend

Hey guys-

Andrea Cavanaugh was kind enough to post this. I'm tinkering with the comments style and may have messed some things up, so hopefully others will come through:


My heart goes out to all of you - I've been through layoffs in another industry, and as Brent says, it's terrible for those who go and also hard on those left behind.

But there's life outside the DN - all of you have amazing skills and resources that you can apply elsewhere, and you may even find that you get more satisfaction and make more money doing it. And you can always satisfy your appetite for muckraking through freelancing, volunteer work, etc.

It's a shame what's happening to the news biz, but it's a sign of the times. The dream died hard for me - I came to journalism late in life, but I wanted to be a reporter ever since I was a little girl eavesdropping on my parents and their friends. However, the DN is the paper that inspires diehard newshounds to pursue other careers.

Don't lose hope - you'll survive and even prosper. My best wishes go out to all of my former colleagues at the DN.

-Andrea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home