Thursday, February 28, 2008

More kind words

Former ACE Phil Browne e-mailed this along. I always liked and respected him and was glad to hear his voice (in e-mail form).

------

While I have been somewhat derelict in staying connected with my old friends and colleagues at the Daily News, I have been watching the happenings at the DN, and in the industry, with venomous disgust.

And I second Andrea Cavanaugh's advice and sentiments.

When we all graduated from University we were driven by a deep sense of public duty, the challenge to understand and make sense of the world, and an unbreakable desire to create shared meaning to expand peoples' myopic world views. We did that through dedicating ourselves to the craft, chasing the story, making every effort to become quick subject matter experts and, most importantly, by becoming fiercely dedicated to the truth.

The problem is: Very few people actually care anymore which, at the end of the day, is the root cause of this decade's public execution of journalism.

I will spare you my continuing monologue on the "business," but I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to those who will fall victim to this disturbing trend tomorrow. I have worked and socialized with many of you, and you are the best of the best.

Lastly, I want to impart to all of you the importance of nurturing your writing, editing and reporting skills and expanding them beyond the confines of "traditional" newsgathering. While journalism will always be around, traditional practices have gone the way of the dinosaur. If you want to remain competitive and relevant, it's time to get creative and learn how to use your skills in other formats, distribution channels and industries.

There is a whole world waiting for you that will appreciate you beyond this ungrateful industry, and you'll make a lot more money doing it. Don't get down. Take action and keep control of your life.

Never forget the words of Hunter Thompson:

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Lastly, many of you know where I am now, and I am consistently hiring as my department continues to expand. I have other leads as well. My door is always open to you. Contact me if you're interested.

With all respect and honor,

Phillip Browne
phillip.browne@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home