Thursday, June 07, 2007

Thanks, Barb.

Just wanted to take a quick moment to acknowledge our outgoing city editor, Barbara Jones, who's given endless hours of labor to this paper. I've seen her in at 8 a.m. and 11 p.m., Saturday, Sunday, holidays and even on vacation. It can be a thankless job, but she's led us through challenging times and deserves our thanks as she moves on to her new job as content coordinator.

And, even before she officially begins, she helped me out on my "Price is Right" assignment today. At first, I was just planning to stick with a straightforward, standard story. She prodded me to get some interesting trivia for a graphic and after I found some, I started thinking of all the different ways we could jazz it up. By the end of the day, we had a story, a trivia box, a photo gallery (with the help of the always-excellent Mr. McCoy), YouTube links and a staff-produced video. It wasn't hard to do, but it made the story much more complete. We can all do that on all kinds of stories, giving people a reason to get their news from Dailynews.com and our paper, rather than the competition.

So thanks for the kick in the pants today, Barb, and for everything else. We'll look forward to working with you in your new capacity in the uncharted period ahed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home