Friday, February 29, 2008

And now it's time for my own goodbye

Hey gang,

Alright, I've already embarrassed myself saying my farewells, so I'll make this quick before I trip myself up. I took the buyout and, once I get seven years of crap off my desk, I'll be out of here. This is a horrible day for many people and I hate to leave on a note like this.

But I'm not going to take the sad memories-- they'll fade away in time. Instead, I'm going to remember all the great, wonderful, insane and beautiful characters who make this place come alive. I'll remember fights over stories, fires, long nights, lawsuits and scanner traffic-- and loving every minute of it. I'll remember Ron lighting his coat on fire to get rid of an errant thread-- and him telling me that he had to hold his nose and get my copy to the level of "barely publishable." Yeah, that's the guy I hold up as my journalistic mentor.

Both as a reporter and as a union guy, it's been an honor to serve alongside you. I will miss you all, but know that the paper and the union will both survive and thrive long after I'm gone. It will be different, it will be challenging, but I've meant every word I've spoken about the strength and character of this staff. You guys are the absolute best and you will keep the fires burning, for the readers, for the community and, most importantly, for each other.

It's hard to write these words -- probably the only time I've ever had trouble running off at the mouth here -- but every one of them is true. You guys are like my family and you always will be. No matter where we all end up, in and out of the business, I will always look back at the people here and the work they do as the best.

I'm going to end now and head off to my next adventure. Thanks to everyone who's made this such a great ride and best of luck to you all.

Respectfully,
Brent

afropic@gmail.com
(310) 562-4315

12 Comments:

Blogger Brad A. Greenberg said...

Has anyone ever had a better colleague than Brent W. Hopkins?

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brent! I feel bad that I did not get a chance to say goodbye. You are such an awesome person and it was great working with you. Thank you so much for all the hard work that you did in trying to save people's jobs. I wish you good luck at the Police Academy!!

Simone

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent,

As a reader and a publicist it hurts to see the paper fading away.

Thanks for some great stories, especially the one about your week commuting to work on public transit.

Good luck to you, to your colleagues who are also leaving and to those who remain.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brent,

I want to thank you - not only for being a great steward of the Union at the Daily News but for being the great guy you are. I have enjoyed working with you over the past years and wish you all the best as you move on to a new adventure. You'll definitely be one of L.A.'s finest.

In solidarity,

Vicki

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes in your new adventure Brent. Thanks for all your hard work and take care!

Jennifer

8:46 PM  
Blogger Editor in Exile said...

All good wishes, Brent. You fought the good fight.

Mark
Formerly at the SGVN

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brent,
As a fellow brother you have held the torch high for your brothers an sisters at the DN and I wish you all the best in your LAPD adventure. " Black Friday " has been a rough one for us all a the Breeze, PT and DN. Please remember I drive a 2 door forest green honda with a licence plate trim (Long Beach Honda)

Phil Browne said it best in your blog

" There is a whole world waiting for you that will appreciate you beyond this ungrateful industry, and you'll make a lot more money doing it. Don't get down. Take action and keep control of your life.

Never forget the words of Hunter Thompson:

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.". " .

Tonight I will pour one out for the ones lost.

All the best,

Long Beach Press-Telegram PT Photog - Stephen

1:08 AM  
Blogger rknil said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright

It's two words -- "all right."

7:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hi Brent!, thank you for visiting us on the CWA local 9400 picket line in Culver City, words cannot express. Thank you for your stalwart undercover work revealing the sex trade industry in the Valley, it helped Simone and I find Rocky Peak Church!!

Chris Trimm

4:44 PM  
Blogger Michael Cabanatuan said...

Hey Brent. As a fellow journalist and union brother from Northern California, I'm sorry to see you go. It's a loss for journalism and for the union.

I've admired your union work over the years, as you artfully managed to stay positive in the face of incompetent management, and to develop a mutually beneficial relationship with the beancounters while building the strength of the Guild at the same time.

Great work.

In solidarity,

Michael Cabanatuan
President
Northern California Media Workers Guild

4:53 PM  
Blogger rknil said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home