Monday, February 20, 2006

Monday Matters

Greetings to All,

I apologize for missing my usual Sunday ruminations, which I know you all anxiously await. After lording it over everyone I knew that I hadn't gotten sick this year, I have, in fact, gotten sick and have been enjoying my planned three-day weekend in a semi-stupor. If the rest of the email doesn't make sense (or, at least, makes less sense than I normally do), I'm very sorry.

First off, I've been informed as of Friday that we've finally got our Daily News-specific bank account set up. I will try it out for a month or so to ensure it's working safely, then we'll begin transitioning everyone over so we don't have to deal with this cumbersome mail-in dues process.

In the meantime, however, for those of you who haven't paid your February dues yet, please make out your checks for 2.25 times your hourly rate to CWA Local 9400 and mail them to CWA local 9400, attn: Vicki DiPaolo, 7844 Rosecrans Ave. Paramount, Ca. 90723. Once again, this is on your honor-- and I was pleased to hear from the folks at the local that nearly everyone paid on time last month, so keep up the good work.

In other news, we now have signed, official copies of the current contract, which we'll be distributing throughout the newsroom this week. Those of you who aren't in Woodland Hills will receive yours through the mail soon. Nothing majorly different than the draft copies that some of you already have, but it's good to have the real, actual document to refer to. Also, you can watch the signatures get larger and progressively sloppier, turning the pages into something like the Declaration of Independence. By the end, my name looks like a Richter printout during an earthquake.

And finally, it has been a godawful long time since we've gotten together outside of work to kick back. This time, we're going to do it in two parts, since not everyone's a day-side staffer and we love you night folks, too. I'll check around and see when's convenient, but what we'll probably do is have a night get-together next week, then a Sunday afternoon one in a few weeks. Location and time to be determined soon-- perhaps that new pool place over at the Promenade? Suggestions, as always, are welcome.

In closing, I also wanted to say how good it made me feel to see so many of you guys at Tim's memorial on Saturday. Though the weather was beautiful, it was just about the last reason you ever want to come together. But as the guy sitting in the back, seeing everyone there, paying tribute to a truly decent guy, it reminded me that this isn't just a place to pull a paycheck and spend our days and nights at-- it's a community and a family. You're the ones that make it so good.

Thanks for listening,
Brent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home